With the violence of the modern world threatening school safety, it’s more important now than ever to adopt protocols to protect the nation’s students, teachers, and staff. Instances of school violence are more prevalent than ever and without armed guards standing watch over our classrooms, what can we do to discourage criminal acts? School safety is of utmost importance.
What can we do to discourage criminal acts?
- Metal Detectors – Stationed at the entrances to the school and at the entrances of school related activities, they protect your staff and students. This is one example of a school safety precautionary measure you can implement.
- No Loitering – Do not allow students to linger in the hallways, on school grounds, or in the parking lots. Set a time for students to leave the areas and STICK TO IT. School safety is not to be taken lightly.
- Window coverings — Did you know that with our window shades, you are able to see what’s going on outside, but intruders won’t see what’s going on inside? Our shades are devoted to your school’s safety.
- Name Badges – Name badges help schools control which individuals are permitted on campus and limit access from unwelcome visitors. School safety is at the forefront of everyone’s minds.
- Clear Purses and Backpacks — To restore order to a school that is having difficulties due to prohibited items being brought into the classrooms. School safety starts with school administrators.
- School Uniforms — Another way to limit access to the school. It is easy to spot someone who isn’t a part of the school, even in crowded hallways, when their clothing stands out from the group. School safety starts from within.
- Establish a Respectful Attitude – Teach your students to respect the schools staff and each other. Set policies that list incidences of lack of respect and the consequences of not following the guidelines. To teach respect, staff should follow the same guidelines and should have similar outcomes. School safety is the most important issue school staff can address.
As you can see from the aforementioned list, following a written formula is very important. We owe it to our children and their educators to make sure that their learning and teaching environments are free from harm. That’s what school safety is all about.
Let Halcyon Shades Do Our Part
Call (314) 282-8088 to learn more!